Back by popular demand

Due to an uptick in requests for new blog posts, (I mean, it's only been like, two years) I'm starting this thing up again. You could say I'm starting 'from scratch', but that would only be true in one sense.

Back to the point- this post is on 'From Scratch' but I'm going in a new direction. In the past two years, and perhaps even longer than that, I've realized that sustainability and environmentalism isn't reading or writing an article, or recycling, it's a way of life. It's an adaption of a mindset and habits. Thus, I'd like to focus my blog on a new concept- I propose "One/Day" or "One a Day", like the women's vitamin, but not in vitamin form. I'm going to post at least one new thing I learn, discover, re-learn, or just want to share with you guys. There will be less of an emphasis on sustainability or green-ness, and more of an emphasis on a life pro tip to share. Less pressure = more creativity, right? 

My first "One a Day" (work in progress title) will be my recent discovery of this little life saver I was shown the other day on my bike:


These little screws are called "front fork rack braze-ons." They're on both sides of the fork and are designed to be utilized when installing a front rack. I have the Mercier Kilo-TT bike (I couldn't find a picture of it with the front fork rack braze-ons) but I don't have a front rack, just a rear, so these screws instead act as emergency screws. And this is the life pro tip: I just recently used the two screws as replacements for the two that fell off my rear rack. What a relief- I didn't even realize they were loose until they were gone!

Have you checked on your rear or front rack lately? Tighten those screws and while you're there, check if your bike has front fork braze-ons aka your emergency screws.

Over and out for today.

Xoxo
M

Comments

  1. Most rack and waterbottle screws are standard M5 screws. Your LBS should have a ton if you ever need spares. It's a good idea to put a threadlocker on them, and if you have the room, use overly long screws on the rack with locknuts on the back for extra security.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, Pete! One of my coworkers who is a bike enthusiast ended up sharing a bunch of his extra screws with me, as it turned out that I needed a much longer screw! (lol)

      So the issue that comes up with me in terms of bike maintenance, is that bike shops are typically open 9am-6pm, basically my work hours, so I never really get a chance to go to a shop for basic needs. Instead I go to my coworker, or a bike pro friend. Also, I am hesitant to put a threadlocker on the screws for my rack because what if I want to upgrade my rack one day, or get rid of the extra weight altogether?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One More! New HGTV article published: The 10 Greatest Cycling Cities in America

Planning to visit Portland? Don't let any of these gems slip off your list: